[xep-support] Dutch hyphenation exception

Leen Smits Leen.Smits at infor.com
Sun Dec 11 23:53:30 PST 2011

Hi,

XEP uses the (CTAN) Tex hyphenation patterns which works well in general. We found a tiny hyphenation problem which I like to share:

The Dutch word for "exported": geëxporteerd gets a "trema/diaeresis" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trema_%28diacritic%29 as a marker that the sound is shifted. But if this word is hyphenated, the sound shift is not required anymore and looks stupid.

Right: geëxporteerd
Wrong: ge-
ëxporteerd
Right: ge-
exporteerd

I checked the used tex hyphenation file but there are no diaeresis examples at all in this file. The easiest would be to "discourage" hyphenation near diaeresis, because I think change the characters from ë to e

There are more examples of adding/removing diaeresis when hyphenating.
The next one is an example of the way back:

Right: cafeetje
Wrong: cafee-
tje
Wrong: cafe-
tje
Right: café-
tje

Currently this is just an exceptional example because we don't use this "little pub" in our technical communication :).

The first example was from a translation.

Leen

!DSPAM:87,4ee5b30563731205312364!