[xep-support] performance&limits

Robert Goldsmith robert.goldsmith at spgroup.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 01:18:06 PST 2009

Hi :)

We generate very large documents on occasion and we are certainly not
kind on XEP. Our documents usually have complex tables on every page
and 20 or 30 images per page (maybe 300 images, re-used throughout the
document). We have found that with a 64bit setup and with 4Gb of ram
assigned, we start getting problems around the 3700 page mark.
Sometimes we are ok, other times it falls over - all depending on
specifics of the xsl-fo. We transform our xml outside of XEP using
saxon directly and have never had a problem with saxon (xslt is
significantly better understood technology and saxon is very well
written to take advantage of known tricks and efficiency techniques).

Generally, we find it much more sensible to cut our document output up
into smaller chunks. Usually this is not a problem due to what we
generate and how it is used but on a couple of occasions we've had to
'sew' the documents back together and then things have got rather more
complicated - page numbers, content pages etc. causing problems.
Wherever possible we avoid such scenarios and have 6 rendering nodes
and a combination of EnMasse and our own frameworks to handle
distributed rendering - a setup which we are very happy with and which
can really crunch through rendering :)

Robert

On 25 Feb 2009, at 16:15, Curelaru_Cristian at emc.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is some benchmarking information out there.
>
> For example, what time (ball-park) should I expect for a 1000 page
> PDF (w 300 images)? Let’s assume a decent machine, dual-core
> processor, enough RAM, 32-bit OS.
>
> I have another question regarding the limits of what RenderX can
> process on a 32 bit OS. Is there anyway RenderX would handle a 7000
> page PDF? What might be the limit?
> I do recall seeing somewhere a comment that RenderX requires around
> 1M per page of memory. I am assuming we are talking about memory
> that won’t be released until the PDF is out.
>
> Thank you,
> Cristian Curelaru
> EMC

---
Robert Goldsmith
Senior Systems Integrator, Business Systems, SP Group
Telephone: 01527 508239

"Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail"

IMPORTANT - this email and the information that it contains may be
confidential, legally privileged and/or protected by law.  It is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose,
or store or copy the information in any medium (including by printing it out.
Please also delete all copies of this email and any attachments from your
system and shred any printed copies.
We do not accept any liability for losses or damages that you may suffer
as a result of your receipt of this email including but not limited to
computer service or system failure, access delays or interruption, data
non-delivery or mis-delivery, computer viruses or other harmful components.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the SP Group.
Copyright in this email and any attachments belongs to the SP Group the sender or
its licensors.