[xep-support] performance&limits

Guillaume Sejourne guillaume.sejourne at bizanga.com
Thu Feb 26 00:48:29 PST 2009

Hi,

I had been experiencing some problems while generating large documents (about 5000 pages),
and discovered it actually depends on the way your xsl-fo code is written...

XEP actually stores page-sequences in java memory stack, and it starts writing it (thus freeing the stack) once the whole page-sequence is cached...
so the trick is to write as many page-sequences as possible, containing as few pages as possible.

You can also add custom memory usage params to the xep java command (in xep.sh), adding -Xmx and -Xms arguments
to set respectively the minimum and maximum memory to use for this process.

I've successfully generated 5000 pages PDF with images for the last 2 years, on a standard Dell Laptop with
3Go RAM...

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Séjourné
Technical Writer