[xep-support] preventing line breaks before punctuation

W. Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Mon Oct 30 05:36:10 PST 2006

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
> Geoff Levner wrote:
>> I just discovered that Antenna House has an XSL extension for dealing
>> with this situation in its XSL Formatter
>> (axf:space-before-punctuation).  So presumably it is not handled by
>> standard XSL, nor by XEP...

For grins, I did a test with MS Word (Office 2K3). If I set the language
to French (France) it will not allow a colon preceded by a space to be
on a line by itself but if I set the language to English it will.
Looking at the raw data (doing a save as XML) it appears that the space
character is retained as a regular space and not a non-breaking space.

I make this type of test because it establishes what users coming from
non-XML environments will likely expect the XML-based composition
process to do. I don't have Framemaker installed so I can't do the same
test there (Framemaker being the most common DTP system for doing tech
docs).

Cheers,

E.
--