[xep-support] preventing line breaks before punctuation

W. Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Mon Oct 30 05:12:24 PST 2006

Geoff Levner wrote:
> I just discovered that Antenna House has an XSL extension for dealing
> with this situation in its XSL Formatter
> (axf:space-before-punctuation).  So presumably it is not handled by
> standard XSL, nor by XEP...

The FO specification leaves the details of line breaking to
implementations. That means that implementations are free to do as was
suggested here and implement language-specific breaking rules or, as
Antenna House has done, provide a proprietary feature for it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a composition engine to do
language-specific things but it's also difficult for implementors to
know what the details are for each language.

However, I also know that the line casting algorithms that any
composition system will use are by their nature complex and it may not
be easy to add something like a rule that says "if language is {any
language that uses French typographic conventions} treat space before
{relevant punctuation character} as non-breaking space".

I would think that this is something that can be addressed fairly well
in the initial FO generation process even if you'd rather not have to do
so and doing so will likely slow down the transform (because you have to
examine most, if not all, text nodes in the input document).

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber