[xep-support] preventing line breaks before punctuation

Geoff Levner geoff at n-generate.com
Mon Oct 30 06:39:53 PST 2006

I agree with you, in theory.  But in fact, XSLT is very poorly
equipped for dealing with this problem, which is essentially to
replace all occurrences of a regular expression in a string with
another regular expression.  And to provide a full solution for the
problem -- which involves detecting cases where the space(s) and the
punctuation mark are separated by XML markup -- would call for some
truly gnarly XSLT code.

Geoff