[xep-support] Missing isoXXXX characters in output

Thomas Schraitle tom_schr at web.de
Fri Jan 27 04:21:51 PST 2006

Hi,

xep-support at renderx.com schrieb am 27.01.06 13:04:44:

> [... Missing glyphs in fonts ...]
>
> > Possible solutions:
> >
> > 1. Use a font that contains lots of Unicode characters. :)
>
> Hmmm. It's using Helvetica for the body elements and Times-Roman for
> titles. I've verified that those are the fonts in the PDF output.

Ah! The normal Helvetica and Times-Roman fonts doesn't contain this glyph.
Well, at least on my system and I doubt that it is different on others. The standard Helvetica and Times fonts have a very limited set of glyphs in comparison to other (Unicode) fonts.

> More interesting is the fact that, according to Apple's Character
> Palette tool, the needed glyphs are available in each of those fonts.

I am not sure if you can trust this output. Although I am not familiar with Apple Computers there are tools that display all glyphs but use different fonts for that. You have to look into the font to be really sure.

> So, given that, I'm still at a loss as to why the glyphs aren't showing.

Locate the Helvetica and Times-Roman fonts and open it with the appropriate tool. I suppose they are PostScript Type1 fonts. If I am unsure what glyphs contain a font I open it in FontForge[1].

Hope that helps,
Tom

------
[1] http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/