[xep-support] Missing isoXXXX characters in output

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Fri Jan 27 05:14:16 PST 2006

On 27/1/06 12:21, Thomas Schraitle <tom_schr at web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> xep-support at renderx.com schrieb am 27.01.06 13:04:44:
>>
>> [... Missing glyphs in fonts ...]
>>
>>> Possible solutions:
>>>
>>> 1. Use a font that contains lots of Unicode characters. :)
>>
>> Hmmm. It's using Helvetica for the body elements and Times-Roman for
>> titles. I've verified that those are the fonts in the PDF output.
>
> Ah! The normal Helvetica and Times-Roman fonts doesn't contain this glyph.
> Well, at least on my system and I doubt that it is different on others. The
> standard Helvetica and Times fonts have a very limited set of glyphs in
> comparison to other (Unicode) fonts.
>

>> More interesting is the fact that, according to Apple's Character
>> Palette tool, the needed glyphs are available in each of those fonts.
>
> I am not sure if you can trust this output. Although I am not familiar with
> Apple Computers there are tools that display all glyphs but use different
> fonts for that. You have to look into the font to be really sure.

No, the character palette can be asked to explicitly list which fonts hold a
given glyph. Helvetica Regular (5.0d8e2 according to FontBook) is listed as
including >=.

To get this info you just have to expand the "Font Variation" part of the
palette, and choose the "Containing selected character" collection.

>> So, given that, I'm still at a loss as to why the glyphs aren't showing.
>
> Locate the Helvetica and Times-Roman fonts and open it with the appropriate
> tool. I suppose they are PostScript Type1 fonts. If I am unsure what glyphs
> contain a font I open it in FontForge[1].

They're Truetype dfonts. Linotype's FontExplorer X (a nice tool) also
confirms what Character Palette says about that glyph being in that font.

I wonder if XEP is somehow finding a version of Helvetica from somewhere
else.

Chris