[xep-support] WG: Graphic with text before and after the graphic on one page

Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Fri Nov 11 07:12:03 PST 2005

uwe.goersch at lhsystems.com wrote:

> Hello, I would like to insert on one page a graphic with a text part
> above the graphic and a text part under the graphic. All text parts
> and the graphic must be on one page. Depending on how much text
> exists, the size of the graphic must be adapted accordingly. The size
> of the graphic and the text passages can be differently big.

There is no way to do this in one pass with XSL-FO because FO, by
design, does not provide this type of "layout aware" processing.

You could do it in two passes by rendering it the first time, capturing
XEP's intermediate file, examining that to see how much space the text
took up, and from that, calculate the size for the graphic and then
re-render the document, setting the graphic size.

In general, FO does not provide any features for doing this sort of copy
fitting, beyond the ability to specify minimum and maximum values for
things like space-before/after (which would allow a renderer some
flexibility in trying to keep things together, for example).

FO implementors may, of course, provide proprietary features to enable
more copy fitting.

Cheers,

Eliot