[xep-support] WG: Graphic with text before and after the graphic on one page

David Pirkle david.pirkle at symyx.com
Fri Nov 11 13:14:56 PST 2005

I'm new to XSL-FO, and was hoping that it would be a good tool for
addressing issues such as these.  Sadly, though it seems to offer some
advancement in optimizing layout for pagination, I'll have to say I was
disappointed in how limited it is in this regard.  Now I'm just looking
for any good solution, proprietary or not.  Once I learned about the XEP
intermediate file, that at least gave me some ray of hope.  Since the FO
standard isn't solving these problems, I'm willing to accept proprietary
mechanisms, and I guess that's even a good opportunity for vendors to
distinguish themselves from the competition.

Have you RenderX guys considered doing more along the lines of this
iterative layout approach that the intermediate file enables?  I could
imagine a page overflow triggering a callback to the application, which
can then reformat the section that has overflowed and hand it back to
XEP.  I'm sure there are a lot of complications I haven't even begun to
see, but any kind of tools in this area are, for me at least, very high
value.