[xep-support] Unicode / TrueType fonts / RTL

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Tue Jul 15 08:12:38 PDT 2003

Lorna,

> I've just downloaded XEP. I wanted to do something in Hebrew
> (Right-to-left) and I have a file in Unicode (UTF-8) and using TrueType
> fonts. I added my font to fonts.xml and it creates a pdf, but when I try
> to open the file I get the following message:

> document (110).

This may happen when your font name contains spaces. PostScript name
for any font may not contain characters beyond a very limited subset.
Unfortunately, XEP does not implement any security check at this point:
if you supply an invalid font name in etc/fonts.xml, it will appear in the
resulting PDF and ruin your output file.

We will fix the problem soon. As a workaround, please remove all
spaces from values of 'name' attributes on <font> elements (<alias>
elements are safe in this respect - their attributes don't impact PDF
validity).

If my guess was wrong and your problem cannot be fixed this way,
please provide more data. In particular, the following information would be
useful:

- your OS type and Java version;
- TTF file for the problematic font;
- contents of the respective record in etc/fonts.xml.

Please send these data to support at renderx.com.

> So does XEP support Unicode TrueType fonts?

Yes.

> Does XEP support RTL scripts?

Yes, including Arabic shaping and bidirectionality,
with limitations described in the documentation (doc/spec.pdf).

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX