[xep-support] Spanning a section within a 2 column-page

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Mon Feb 3 08:02:22 PST 2003

Hi Els,

> At the beginning of an index that is formatted on a two-column page,
> I wish to span its title and some prefaratory text, which I thought
> I could do with surrounding the first block with <fo:block span="all">.
> Where this block ends, the double-column portion starts. The following
> .fo, however, does not work in XEP.

According to the XSL spec, fo:block elements with span="all" attribute
can only be _direct children of fo:flow_. Here's the relevant quote
[7.20.4. "span"]:

> This only has effect on areas returned by a flow; e.g. block-areas
> generated by fo:block children of an fo:flow. Children and further
> descendants of these areas take on the spanning characteristic
> of their parent.

>From your FO excerpt, I deduce that your blocks with span="all" are wrapped
into at least one more fo:block. In such configuration, the span property
is ignored, and XEP issues the following warning:

  {? 'span' attribute on block ignored because the element is not
   a direct child of a flow}

Please check your XEP diagnostic output for similar messages,
to verify if it is indeed the case.

> Any suggestions as to how enforce the span?

Move your spanned blocks to the topmost level, making them direct children
of fo:flow. For example, the following minimal sample works in XEP:

  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page">
      <fo:region-body column-count="3" margin="1in"/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="page">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block span="all" text-align="center"
                font-size="300%" font-weight="bold"
                background-color="silver">Index</fo:block>
      <fo:block text-align="left">
         Text flows in several columns.
         Text flows in several columns.
         Text flows in several columns.