[xep-support] pdf page bleeds

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Wed Aug 20 19:26:24 PDT 2003

Erik S. LaBianca wrote:

> I, for one, would be interested in seeing a XEP extension to allow the
> /BleedBox, etc. It seems like it would be a useful function for those of
> us creating PDF's primarily for printed output. It would be pretty cool
> if it could throw in registration too.

It's actually pretty easy to do registration marks (and CMYK bars). I
just created appropriate registration marks and color bars in
Illustrator as EPS files and then I use one of the edge region with
absolutely-positioned block containers to place the marks. I use normal
block-containers with borders to create crop marks. It's actually pretty
easy to create a registration mark graphic by hand just by typing up an
EPS directly--it's also a good exercise for learning the Postscript
drawing commands. Only requires about 15 lines of code to create a
couple of circles with a cross or to create a circle filled with
radiating lines.

It just requires using a large enough page size so you have room for the
registration and crop marks outside the final trimmed page area. By
using this technique you can also create bleeds since you have plenty of
extra width in the edge regions.

But it would be handy to be able to set the bleedbox within the PDF.

Cheers,

Eliot
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot at isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International