[xep-support] Re: How often does XEP.BAT use my graphic-URL?

Vladyslav Sivyakov vsivyakov at renderx.com
Fri Jul 31 12:01:40 PDT 2020

Hello Fritz,

Throughout the formatting process, XEP retrieves various information
about the external resources, like dimensions.

Caching the entire content is problematic because in large documents,
the total size of external resources would make the Java environment on
a formatting machine quickly run out of memory.

There is a standard solution for that -- XML Catalogs. You make a local
copy of frequently-used resources and configure a Catalog Resolver do
the job. Simple ones simply return local files (file:) instead of those
located on remote (http:) computers, but nothing prevents from
implementing your own sophisticated one that has some timed-cache
strategy and periodically refreshed entities.

A typical usage is when you're developing DocBook documents, and each
rendering process takes an http hit to docbook.sourceforge.net. Of
course, this makes rendering slow, and you may want to improve it.
Here's more details:

http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#URI_Resolution

http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#using_catalogs_for_docbook

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html

Alternatively, a caching proxy could be a solution, but it may be an
overhead and depend on your needs.

Best regards,
Vladyslav Y. Sivyakov, RenderX.