[xep-support] Difference in behavior between XEP 4.30.915 and 4.27.709?

Harvey, Paul J. EOP/OMB (Contractor) Paul_Harvey at omb.eop.gov
Tue Dec 22 03:18:08 PST 2020

I have a stylesheet which contains this…

<fo:table-cell display-align="after">
<fo:page-number-citation ref-id="{generate-id(.)}"/>
</fo:table-cell>

When I run a transformation with it using version 4.27.709 it runs fine. When I omit the -valid flag, I see the message “(validate [validation OK])”

I handed the stylesheet and source XML file to another developer who ran it against XEP version 4.30.915 and it failed with the message:
“Element 'fo:page-number-citation' cannot be a child of 'fo:table-cell'. Only block-level elements are permitted in this context.”

Is there a difference between the versions such that 4.30 is enforcing a rule 4.27 did not?

Thank you,

Paul