[xep-support] Make a column header span columns 2 and 3

Darren Munt darrenm at ardex.com.au
Mon Dec 3 23:49:34 PST 2018

I need to format a page that has three columns, in which column 1 is an introductory paragraph or two, and columns 2 & 3 are body content, with a header that spans both.

I'm specifying a three column layout in the page body using column-count="3".

Then I put content into the page like this:

        <fo:block>
          <fo:block>Par 1</fo:block>
          <fo:block break-after="column">Par 2</fo:block>

          <fo:block span="all">Text that we want to span columns 2 and 3</fo:block>
          <fo:block>Par 3</fo:block>
        </fo:block>

That doesn't work, the span attribute has no effect. If I take the wrapping block away, then the span is honoured but it throws a line break between the second par and the heading, so the heading appears under par 2 and spans columns 1 and 2.

Not sure how I should specify fo commands here to get it to work, or if it is even possible.

I want it to look something like this:

Xxxxxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe I need to use a positioned fo:block-container for the first column and just use a two column layout with a wide left margin?