[xep-support] Re: Letters "fi" are not transformed

Bill Bushnell Bill.Bushnell at PACCAR.com
Wed Apr 22 11:44:12 PDT 2015

Thank you for your response. The solution is probably with the ligature, but I have no experience with dealing with that, or the font mappings in XEP transformation. I tried a different transformation and the words “first” and “fire” are okay in the PDF now. So I’ll stick with the new transformation.

~ Bill

From: Xep-support [mailto:xep-support-bounces at renderx.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Brown
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:41 PM
To: 'RenderX Community Support List'
Subject: [xep-support] Re: Letters "fi" are not transformed

What is the exact font specification for the font you are using in xep.xml?
If you look at “Times New Roman” in the default specification in xep.xml, you would see this:
The “ligatures” attribute is telling the formatting engine to replace “fi” and “fl” with their equivalents that exist in that font:

This is “fi” typed
This is “fi” as a ligature
You can see they are quite different (if you are viewing this in HTML). I suspect you may be using a ligature entry pointing to a character that does not exist for that font in question.
Kevin Brown
RenderX