[xep-support] Strange auto table layout column widths

David Clunie dclunie at dclunie.com
Tue Feb 25 11:31:46 PST 2014

Hi

I am using DocBook that includes tables that do not specify explicit
column widths, and that have xep.extensions set to '1', which I
gather generates FO that leaves XEP to do the table formatting.

This works very well most of the time, but sometimes the columns are
wider than they need to be and others narrower than they could be with
unnecessary line wrapping within cells.

See attached screenshot, in which the "Tag" column could be narrower
and the "Usage..." column wider without the break in the sentence
about "aspect ratio".

The FO fragment for the entire table is attached.

I notice that the <fo:table/> element does not explicitly include the
'table-layout="auto"' attribute.

Does it need to or is that the default?

I assume it is the default, since if I mess with the DocBook stylesheets
to add 'table-layout="auto"', e.g. by adding to my customization layer:

  <xsl:attribute-set name="table.table.properties">
   <xsl:attribute name="table-layout">auto</xsl:attribute>
  </xsl:attribute-set>

then 'table-layout="auto"' does indeed get included in the FO, but the
result looks exactly the same.

David

!DSPAM:87,530cefa89855549810357!