[xep-support] Re: ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY and table headers

Kevin Brown kevin at renderx.com
Wed Oct 3 11:53:22 PDT 2012

Charles:

I suggest you ring me. In about three weeks, RenderX will release an update
you our software. There are significant enhancements in Section 508
compliance in this update. This version supports many new features that are
integral to 508 support.  I can provide samples and a patch to get you
started on using all the new features.

1) XEP now includes a rolemap that allows you to reassign structural FO tags
in general to alternate tags in PDF. Examples would be fo:root->Document,
fo:block->P, fo:table->T, fo:list-block->L ...

2) The rolemap also allows one to define "roll-up" FO structures. These
would be completely eliminated from the Tag structure. Examples would
usually be fo:block-container, fo:table-header, fo:table-body, fo:inline,
fo:wrapper, ... These types of items add unnecessary Tags to documents.

3) XEP also includes spot over-riding of these through an extension
rx:pdf-structure-tag, so particular tags can specified for certain
structures. One would use this for things that have no equivalent in XSL FO,
like heading tags H1, H2 and so on. This same extension allows someone to
also mark something as an Artifact to exclude it from reading (like content
in headers and footers).

4) The creation of tables is done to completely support 508 requirements.
One can specify table headers (cells in a TH) and override cells in the
table-body to get TH cells in table-body rows. All TH cells are marked with
appropriate scope attributes for "row", "column" or "both"

5) Multiple types of alternate text are provided through rx: extension
attributes for all situations

A few unique situations are also handled by a post-process for reorganizing
content reading order on the first page, eliminating repeating table headers
from reading on all but the first page of occurrence, etc.

We are also working to modify our XSL FO to HTML conversion in order to
handle all of the above situations so that one could use our FO to HTML
output to obtain 508 compliant HTML from the same source. This will be sold
as an add-on (FO to HTML for 508), all the other enhancements within PDF
generation is part of the core product available to customers with current
support contracts.

Kevin Brown

Executive Vice President, Sales & Marketing RenderX, Inc.

(650) 327-1000 Direct

(650) 328-8008 Fax

(925) 395-1772 Mobile

skype:kbrown01