[xep-support] different in result messages for XEPWin and XEP

Alexander Dyuzhev dyuzhev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 00:13:00 PDT 2012

Hi!

I have 3 files in folder C:\TestXSL:
1. testexternal.xsl with link to "external.xml":
version="1.0" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
<xsl:variable name="ExternalXML"  select="document('C:/TestXSL/external.xml')"/>
 <xsl:template match ="/">
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
font-family="Times New Roman">
<fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="A4" page-height="297mm"	page-width="210mm">
<fo:region-body />
</fo:simple-page-master>
</fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:page-sequence master-reference="A4">
<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
<fo:block font-size="19pt" text-align="center" font-weight="bold">
<xsl:text>Text from external XML: </xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="$ExternalXML/root/text"/>
</fo:block>
</fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

2. test.xml - simple xml - source for testing:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>text</root>

3. external.xml for call from testexternal.xsl:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
<text>Hello!</text>
</root>

I start XEPWin from command line with parameters
"C:\Program Files\RenderX\XEPWin\XSLDRIVER.EXE" -xml
"C:\TestXSL\test.xml" -xsl "C:\TestXSL\testexternal.xsl" -pdf
"C:\TestXSL\test_xepwin.pdf"
and XEPWin creates successfully (without warnings) output
test_xepwin.pdf with text string "Text from external XML: Hello!"

But when I start XEP with the same parameters and source xml and xsl:
"C:\Program Files\RenderX\XEP\xep.bat" -xml "C:\TestXSL\test.xml" -xsl
"C:\TestXSL\testexternal.xsl" -pdf "C:\TestXSL\test_xep.pdf"
XEP outputs to console warning message
[warning] Malformed URL [C:/TestXSL/external.xml] - base
[file:/C:/TestXSL/testexternal.xsl]
and creates test_xep.pdf with text "Text from external XML: " only,
i.e. without text from external.xml.

I found solution for fix that warning. I must add 'file:///' before
path to external.xml to document() function.

But my question relates to different results of XEPWin and XEP. Why
XEPWin successfully ended but XEP created PDF with warning ?
Is XEPWin use other XML to XSL transformer than XEP or something else ?
How different is the result of XEPWin and XEP ? When I have ended
development XSL-FO for XEPWin, and when I need to migrate solution to
XEP, should I run test for full compliance for results for XEPWin and
XEP ?
Or XEPWin and XEP produces the same result ?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Alexander Dyuzhev

!DSPAM:87,4f5ef38a63732141020720!