[xep-support] Re: RTL script, Arabic-Indic figures and hyphen

Benoit Maisonny bm.lists at synclude.com
Mon Aug 20 00:01:24 PDT 2012

On 20 August 2012 07:27, Alexey Gagarinov <agagarinov at renderx.com> wrote:

> Hi Benoit,
>
>      The text inside the fo:inline element is not displayed correctly in a
>> PDF rendered by XEP 4.19.
>>
>>       * I expect, reading right to left: "Arabic-word space Arabic-0
>> hyphen Arabic-1"
>>       * but I see in the PDF: "Arabic-word space Arabic-1 hyphen Arabic-0"
>>

>>     So, 0 and 1 are switched. Other Unicode-compliant softwares display
>> the text on screen as I expect it.
>>

> It was a bug in XEP's BIDI algorithm -- FIXED.

Great, thanks!

>      If I replace the hyphen by an Arabic letter, then the figures are in
>> the expected order, but a space or
>>     comma also give an incorrect order.
>>

> I believe, you're wrong about the comma.
> XEP (both 4.19 and 4.20 versions) displays the correct order.
>
> The comma (&#x002C;) belongs to CS (Common Number Separator) class in
> terms of BIDI algorithm.
> According to BIDI algorithm (UAX#9, W4 rule):
> "A single common separator between two numbers of the same type changes to
> that type."
>
> In other words, you should treat a single common separator between 2
> Arabic (or European) numbers as a part of that entire number.
> I guess it's more obvious for European numbers -- 1,000,000 is a single
> number, but the same is applied for Arabic numbers.
> Note: '.' is also a CS class char, so 0.1 and 1,000,000 are both single
> numbers. 0,1 is also is a single number according to Unicode BIDI algorithm.

That makes sense; I stand corrected about the comma. Thank you for the
useful detailed information. Now I understand why, in my sample documents,
sub-section numbers like 1.2.3 are written in Arabic with a dash instead of
a dot: a dot would put them in reverse order.

Regards,
Benoit

> Regards,
>   Alexey Gagarinov
> RenderX

> (*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service
> http://w
> ww.renderx.com/terms-of-**service.html<http://ww.renderx.com/terms-of-service.html>

!DSPAM:87,5031e0de63737047931012!