[xep-support] Re: Japanese and/or Chinese Hypenation Pattern?

ben.m.wynn at rrd.com ben.m.wynn at rrd.com
Tue Oct 26 13:05:21 PDT 2010

Hello Anthony,

Yes, you may specify a <language> element without a <hyphenation/> child.
My own config file seems to work fine with a number of such language
definitions.
For completeness, the relevant section of the XEP manual is
http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#linguistic_algorithms  though it
doesn't seem to indicate that you don't need to include the hyphenation
tag.

Also, from my own knowledge of Japanese, individual words aren't defined
by spaces, but rather the dictionary, so breaking them up with a linebreak
is always permitted and you should not include hyphens. People would
probably confuse a hyphen as the dash character that elongates the vowel
sound most glyphs end in, changing the word's tone and probably its
meaning. I assume the same holds for Chineese, but you might want to
check.

Ben M. Wynn | Technical Analyst 2 | RR Donnelley
400 Blue Hill Dr Fl 1 | Westwood, MA 02090-2164 | (: 617.218.7853 | *:
ben.m.wynn at rrd.com

"Collins, Anthony Torrero" <antorco at amazon.com>
Sent by: xep-support-bounces at renderx.com
10/26/2010 01:54 PM
Please respond to
RenderX Community Support List <xep-support at renderx.com>

RenderX Community Support List <xep-support at renderx.com>
cc

Subject
[xep-support] Re: Japanese and/or Chinese Hypenation Pattern?

In the xep.xml file, *must* a <language> element have a <hyphenation>
child element?

thanks,
Anthony Torrero Collins