[xep-support] How to control spacing between lines within a single block

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Mon Jul 30 19:13:41 PDT 2007

At 2007-07-30 20:08 -0400, Jerry Janofsky wrote:
>When text scrolls within a fo:block, is there a way to control the
>spacing between the lines? I want to be able to reduce the space. I
>am able to reduce the space between blocks by using a negative value
>for the space-after attribute.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The space between lines is called leading and is controlled by the
line height.  If you say nothing about line height, the initial value
is anything between 1.0 and 1.2, depending on the decision of the
XSL-FO engine.

To remove leading you can say:

   <fo:block line-height="1">

You could even tighten things up if you wanted and you weren't
worried about descenders touching ascenders.

I've never found a need to use negative line spacing in a production
environment ... what effect are you trying to get?  If you change
line height to "1" you probably can remove the negative space-after.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com