[xep-support] xep namespace problem

Michael Sulyaev msulyaev at renderx.com
Sat Jan 27 03:57:12 PST 2007

Hello Chris,

If further help is required, please describe your environment, and the
way you invoke XEP. See comments inline.

G. Ken Holman wrote:
>> http://test.chris.chiasson.name/.xep/Untitled2.fo
> I'm getting no XML error messages with that file.

I am not getting the error message either.

>>      [xep] [Fatal Error] .data:3:116: The prefix "xmlns" cannot be
>> bound to any namespace explicitly; neither can the namespace for
>> "xmlns" be bound to any prefix explicitly.
>
> That message tells me that you have the following in your XML:
>    xmlns:xmlns="something"

There is nothing like this in the source XML.
The xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" attribute node alters the
*default* namespace for current element and it's descendants to that of
MathML. The current element has svg: prefix, which is correctly bound to
SVG namespace. There are no descendants without a namespace prefix.
Thus, the xmlns= statement just does nothing in the presented XML, and
the simple solution is to remove it.

I have found the error message mentioned above in
org/apache/xerces/impl/msg/XMLMessages.properties:280 of Xerces-J 2.9.0.
However, searching in the sources of jdk1.6.0 at
com/sun/org/apache/xerces/internal/impl found nothing relevant, probably
because the built-in Xerces is 2.6.2.

All this is mystifying, so please describe your environment to make the
error reproducible.

Michael Sulyaev
http://www.renderx.net
http://www.renderx.com