[xep-support] Missing isoXXXX characters in output

Thomas Schraitle tom_schr at web.de
Thu Jan 26 23:24:42 PST 2006

Hi David,

xep-support at renderx.com schrieb am 27.01.06 08:02:54:
> [...]
> My problem is that in the resulting printable format (PDF, PS), the
> "Added Math Symbols: Relations" (isoamsr.ent) that I'm referencing
> are not being displayed/generated in the resulting file.
>
> E.g.
>
> The following...
>
> <title>a &ge; b + c</title>
>
>   ...should show the <= glyph representation in ...
>
> a <= b + c
>
> However, a blank space is inserted where the glyph should be.
> [...]
> I'm sure I've done this in the past, but I have no idea what's
> happening now. Could it be a font issue?

I think yes. The entity &ge; is in Unicode U+2265 and this glyph is probably not available in your font. Which fonts do you use?

Possible solutions:

1. Use a font that contains lots of Unicode characters. :)
2. Use special math fonts (e.g. from LaTeX) and insert it after your general font:

  <fo:block font-family="NormalFont;MathFont">...</fo:block>

The problem with this approach is the two fonts should be similar; otherwise you end up with lots of "typographical noise" and it doesn't look very professional. ;)

You have to set font-selection-strategy[1] attribute to "character-by-character" (probably on fo:root). If the NormalFont does not contain the respective glyph, it will fallback to MathFont.

I wonder if XEP has an option to warn of missing glyphs.

Bye,
Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#font-selection-strategy