[xep-support] Vowel positioning in Hebrew text

David Tolpin dvd at davidashen.net
Tue Feb 21 00:14:12 PST 2006

> Hebrew text with vowels have a problem in XEP. The vowels do not
> position properly in the .pdf produced.
>
> Four pictures have been attached, three of which show how the
> vowels ought to be positioned: Gtk, OpenOffice and Firefox. The
> picture xep.gif shows the vowels out of position.
>
> Is there anything to do about that? If it's a bug I am hereby
> reporting it and look forward to a fix.

Hi Teus,

XEP does not implement composition of Hebrew presentation forms. This
is a feature not needed for modern Hebrew texts, since vocalization
is normally only used in biblical Hebrew. If you need this feature
supported, you can ask the marketing and sales department of RenderX
to implement it as a custom job. Alternatively, you can use a
preprocessing tool to compose glyphs.

Please also don't used sacred texts as examples of bad typography.
Your example is the first three words from Breishit, the Book of
Genesis.

David