[xep-support] Errors with Chinese fonts

Alexei Gagarinov support at renderx.com
Wed May 11 06:56:32 PDT 2005

Hello Keith,

> [error] Unsupported file format or broken file found reading
> font metric from file:/Library/Fonts/DFPHeiW3-GB: Not a
> TrueType/OpenType file, or unsupported TrueType version: 0.0

This error means that the TrueType font is invalid according to
TrueType/OpenType specification.
More accurately, the 'sfnt version' entry of this font has value of 0.0
(major.minor) which is incorrect according to the specification.

>From the aforementioned spec (see section 'Organization of an OpenType
Font'; http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otff.htm):
OpenTypeSpec> OpenType fonts that contain TrueType outlines should
OpenTypeSpec> use the value of 1.0 for the sfnt version. OpenType fonts
OpenTypeSpec> containing CFF data should use the tag 'OTTO'
OpenTypeSpec> as the sfnt version number.

I suggest you to contact your font vendor regarding this issue.

With best regards,
  Alexei Gagarinov
RenderX