[xep-support] EPS Images and true type fonts

Alexei Gagarinov support at renderx.com
Mon Jun 20 04:41:35 PDT 2005

Hello Vincent,

> The problem here is that when we are converting we get error messages such
as :
> Arial not found, using Courier.

The most probably the problem is in Adobe Distiller's font settings.
In order to resolve it, try the following:
Acrobat Distiller -> Settings -> Font Locations...
1) make sure that 'font locations' contain a directory where the Arial is
installed
2) make sure that the 'Ignore TrueType versions of standard PostScript
fonts' checkbox is unchecked.

> Aren't TrueType and OpenType almost the same thing?
Yes and no.
>From Open Type Specification (see
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otover.htm)
OTSpec> The OpenType font format is an extension of the TrueType font
format,
OTSpec> adding support for PostScript font data. The OpenType font format
OTSpec> was developed jointly by Microsoft and Adobe. OpenType fonts
OTSpec> and the operating system services which support OpenType fonts
OTSpec> provide users with a simple way to install and use fonts, whether
OTSpec> the fonts contain TrueType outlines or CFF (PostScript) outlines.

So a OpenType font without CFF table (PostSript outlines) - is a ordinary
TrueType font.
OpenType with CFF - is a PostScript (or CID-0) font.

> I also came across this part in the manual :
> "(about truetype fonts) These fonts are supported by PDF generator module
only. PostScript generator can only use
> Type 1 and OpenType/CFF fonts (except for CID ones)"... Shouldn't I get an
error upon generation to PostScript?

The support of TrueType fonts in PostScript is in LanguageLevel 3 only and
implemented as Type42 fonts. But Type42 font format is not entirely suitable
for TrueType and often leads to errors. So using of TrueType fonts in
PostScript is on your own responsibility.
And you are right -- there should be a warning about using TrueType in
PostScript. Thank you for pointing this out.

> We found out that the EPS files are being rasterized in the pdf
generator...
EPS images are supported in PostScript generator only. In the PDF generation
module, they are replaced by a bitmap preview image (EPSI or TIFF) if
available.
It is stated in our documentation (see
http://www.renderx.net/Content/support/xep/reference.html#EPS).

But you can convert EPS images to PDFs and use those PDFs files as images
for PDF output.
There was an appropriate discussion regarding this topic some time ago
(titled 'EPS images'). You can find it in xep-support archives:
http://www.renderx.net/lists/xep-support/1156.html

With best regards,
  Alexei Gagarinov
RenderX