[xep-support] XML catalogs in XEP

Marc Baaden baaden at smplinux.de
Tue Aug 30 03:50:01 PDT 2005

Hello Alexander (and many others with excellent tips),

your hints helped a lot. Being on Debian, I could install the xml-commons
tools by simply doing:

  apt-get install libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java

I then modified your xep.bat (as I am on Linux), which seems to work fine
now. I attach it in case there are other Linux users who may find it useful.

What I don't quite understand is where you define the fact that the
CatalogManager.properties file is to be read in the /usr/local/XEP/lib
directory. (I am asking this because I had another script that embeds an
XEP call, and this one complains about "Cannot find CatalogManager.properties")

Thanks,
Marc

>>> Alexander Peshkov said:
 >> Hello Marc,
 >>
 >> You are right, the link to Sun website is outdated (we should fix the
 >> documentation). Sun has donated whole XML catalogs resolver stuff to
 >> Apache project. Its new home is the xml-commons tools. It can be
 >> downloaded from Apache website:
 >>
 >> xml-commons distribution (http://xml.apache.org/commons/)
 >> downloadable from http://apache.gdi-tech.com/xml/commons/
 >>
 >> This resolver.jar has new paths, specifically you need to use:
 >>
 >> -Dcom.renderx.sax.entityresolver=org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.CatalogResol
     ver
 >> -Dcom.renderx.jaxp.uriresolver=org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.CatalogResolve
 >>
 >> Please find attached modified version of xep.bat along with sample
 >> CatalogManager.properties and catalog.xml files which map references
 >> to SVG DTDs to the local files. Both CatalogManager.properties and
 >> catalog.xml as well as resolver.jar and SVG DTDs are supposed to be
 >> placed into 'lib' subdirectory of XEP installation (actually DTD files
 >> expected in 'lib/common/dtd/'). Please modify all paths to match your
 >> system configuration.
 >>
 >> Hope this helps.

Marc Baaden