[xep-support] technical questions about XEP

Alexander Jacob mail at alexjacob.info
Wed Aug 24 11:44:22 PDT 2005

ladies and gentlemen,

my name is alexander jacob and i am studying print and media technologies at
bergische universität, wuppertal, germany.
i am working on my bachelor thesis about color management integration for
database publishing.
your product XEP is part of my examination and i have some question you
might answer.

- does XEP use the adobe PDF library for pdf-output? or did renderX wrote
completly new code considering the pdf-specifications?
- can XEP (below version 4.2) handle icc-profiles and is it possible to
generate pdf/x-3 valid documents? (i cannot find any older reference manual)
- if XEP can handle icc-profiles, what does that mean in detail? will
profiles remain attached to images? are there any (more) color functions to
work with these profiles?
- the reference for XEP 4.2 tells about handling icc-profiles
(<?xep-pdf-icc-profile URL?>) and that this command line has to be before
every <fo:root>. is it possible to set this as a general setting for all
processed stylesheets?

thank you
greetings from germany

alex jacob