[xep-support] RenderX features

Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Wed Apr 13 17:45:31 PDT 2005

Johannes Stuermer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are evaluating RenderX as a possible alternative to FOP. It would be very
> helpful to hear from someone who has used both and can give us an assessment
> on the capabilities of RenderX vs. FOP. i.e. features that XEP has that FOP
> doesn't etc.

I would say that you can characterize it as: XEP can be used with
confidence in production for pretty much any document type for which FO
is suitable. FOP cannot be used for production purposes except under the
most constrained circumstances.

The more meaningful comparison is XEP vs. XSL Formatter (Antenna House).
Here the difference is almost entirely in terms of extensions that one
vendor offers that the other doesn't, as well as XSL Formatter's support
for Thai script. Otherwise the two products are functionally comparable.
We have at least one client using both products in production.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber