[xep-support] Re: [docbook-apps] Page numbering - publish by chapter

Bob Stayton bobs at sagehill.net
Wed Nov 3 17:06:36 PST 2004

Hi Chris,
This is certainly possible, but it doesn't just work out of the box.  It
will require some customization.

To set the starting page number for each chapter, it would be easier if you
upgraded to the 1.66.1 stylesheets, because they have a template named
'initial.page.number' that is called to set the starting page number for
each fo page-sequence.  If you create a new parameter such as
$starting.page.number and customize that template to check that parameter,
you could get it to start on a page other than the default.

But where does it get the starting page number for a chapter? Since you are
using XEP, you could generate XEP's intermediate XML format of the book.
That file has page information in it.  You could extract the starting page
for a chapter to feed to the previous template.  The doc for that
intermediate format is not included in XEP 3.7, but it is in 4.0, and it is
available on the RenderX site at:

http://www.renderx.net/Content/support/xep/reference.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises