[xep-support] exact placement of words on a line

xep at dbobj.com xep at dbobj.com
Fri Jan 9 08:09:39 PST 2004

Hi folks,

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a situation in which I must place words at a specific position on a
line. In the old word processor or dtp days, I would do this by setting
tabs -- center, left or right -- and then put a tab in front of a word. I
would set the tab settings on a per-line basis.

The reason I need to do this is because I have to line up words on two
lines one to another, like this:

 xxxxx   xxxxxxx xxxxxx    xx      xx xx
yyyyyyy   yyyyy    yy   yyyyy yyy    y

where yyy(*) is a translation or transliteration of xx(*).

I have not found a way to accomplish this in fo, other than to  resort to
creating tables with exactly sized columns and then sticking the words in
the cells  in those columns.

I now know that this is an ineffecient way of doing things. I know the
width of the words, and where I want them to go (tab placement as it were)
-- so that is not something I would need to derive either from fo or via
xslt -- I pass that info in. But how to layout the words??

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks,

Steven Gertiser
IDPC