[xep-support] Improving hyphenation algorithm

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Aug 25 02:21:11 PDT 2004

Hi,

I used XEP for longer documents containg a lot of free-flow text in a
last months. I found a lot of words with bad hyphenation. I was very
surprised as I use same hyphenation files as for TeX that hyphenates
almost all words in a correct way. Then I found following statement in
XEP documentation:

"The hyphenator implements a simplified version of Liang’s algorithm
(the same as used in TeX), and
reuses TeX hyphenation patterns. Unlike TeX, hyphenation points aren’t
prioritized: all possible word
breaks are considered equivalent."

It seems that missing prioritizations is a big problem for Czech
language. Do you plan to improve your algorithm in a near future?

Thanks,

				Jirka

   Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz     http://www.kosek.cz