[xep-support] PDF file-size optimizations

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Tue Apr 20 02:00:52 PDT 2004

Jez,

> Are there any PDF file-size optimization "tweaks" of which I should
> be aware?  I've used the trial version and created a PDF with our
> corporate font "Arial" embedded in the document AND the "subset"
> attribute for the font set to "true".  However, the PDF generated
> is 40% larger than the version created with Miramo (180KB vs 125KB),
> which also embedded the font.

This is expected behaviour. PDF file size is not a top priority
for us; until it is contained in reasonable limits, we don't squeeze
it to the maximum. In particular, our subsetting algorithm for
TrueType is not the best possible (though arguably the safest :-)).
I believe that the font is the main cause for the file size difference.

There's not much you can do about this within XEP. The most natural
option seems to adopt some external optimization tool, and repackage
the PDF.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev