[xep-support] PDF file-size optimizations

Jez Brewster jezbrewster at datamonitor.com
Wed Apr 14 05:50:43 PDT 2004

Hello

I'm using the trial version of XEP to generate a PDF document, a version of which we previously created using the Miramo tool.  The purpose of this exercise was to prove to ourselves that XEP can be used to quickly generate a fairly complex PDF (this we need to do before embarking on a new project that will use XEP rather than Miramo).

I am really impressed with the product.

The only question I have is:

Are there any PDF file-size optimization "tweaks" of which I should be aware?  I've used the trial version and created a PDF with our corporate font "Arial" embedded in the document AND the "subset" attribute for the font set to "true".  However, the PDF generated is 40% larger than the version created with Miramo (180KB vs 125KB), which also embedded the font.

I admit that this might be due to something that I have implemented incorrectly.  However, any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank

Jez Brewster
Datamonitor plc

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, please be advised that it has been sent in error and therefore any use is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, or if you are concerned about the content of this email, please notify our IT helpdesk on +44 20 7675 7000.