[xep-support] Null Pointer Exception

Rob Stote RStote at whitehilltech.com
Wed Oct 15 07:22:49 PDT 2003

Hello:

I am in the process of evaluating your software. I have been trying
(unsuccessfully) to embed XEP into my JBoss application.

Enviro:
xep351_developer_stamped_jar
win2K
JDK1.4.0
Jboss 3.2.1

The stack trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:386)
        at com.renderx.util.User.getProperties(User.java:12)
        at com.renderx.xep.lib.Conf.init(Conf.java:102)
        at com.renderx.xep.Driver.init(Driver.java:29)

my code:

protected void render(InputStream in, OutputStream out, RendererMetaData
meta) throws RenderingException {
//rootPath: is set through a configuration file
System.setProperty("com.renderx.xep.ROOT", rootPath);
com.renderx.xep.Driver.init();
H4PDF generator = new H4PDF();
 try{
 generator.setOutFile(out);
 com.renderx.xep.Driver.render(new InputSource(in), generator);
 }catch (IOException e) {
 <snip>...
 }
}

When I run this exact code from within my ide (Eclipse) it works fine. When
i pull the code out and run it as a JBoss Service to run extrnal to our app,
but just a service that JBoss calls I get the same error.

I have also included a zip file that contains a class that can run from the
command line and work, or be dropped into JBoss as a service and it fails,
with the same nullpointer exception

Are there other properties I need to set? The null pointer seems to stem
from the user.getProperties method.

Thanks in advance

Rob