[xep-support] Space-before ignored and background color overlap?

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Tue Jul 29 07:03:15 PDT 2003

Hello Irmen,

idjen> Hello
idjen> We're having trouble understanding why XEP doesn't honour the space-before
idjen> of the first block (the text is rendered at the top of the page, rather than 35mm down).
idjen> Subsequent blocks are okay.
idjen> Why is the first space-before ignored?

Such a behavior prescribed by XSL FO specification. 'space-before'
attribute has compound data type <space> which includes
'.conditionality' property. This property defines if spacing in the
beginning/in the end of reference area should be discarded or retained.
According to XSL FO specification default value of this property is
'discard'. Thus space-before.conditionality="retain" specified on
fo:block will meet your expectation.
For further details refer to section "4.3. Spaces and Conditionality"
of XSL FO spec.

idjen> Secondly, where is the red square with the text "Relative"? It appears to
idjen> be hidden behind the yellow container (by looking at XEP's XML output).
idjen> If we remove the yellow background of the outer block-container, it shows
idjen> up.

This is an error in default z-order calculation. Thanks for the input.

idjen> Thanks for any clarification,
idjen>    Irmen de Jong
idjen>    Everest b.v.

Best regards,