[xep-support] Blank output

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Wed Jul 23 12:09:41 PDT 2003

Kurt,

> I have finally wired up our app to generate pdf output.  All seems to go
> well, excep that the pages generated are blank.  I get 3 pages of blank
> text.  I believe there is text there because when I mouse-over the page in
> Acrobat, I can click on the links in the page.

A guess: please check that you transmit/store PDF as a _binary_
file, and not  as text. If newlines are screwed up in the compressed
byte streams, the body of the PDF is very likely to become unreadable;
on the other hand, annotations (including hyperlinks) are always
represented as plain text, and may survive newline conversions.

If I missed the point, then please:

- open your crippled PDF document with Xpdf and/or GhostScript,
and see if it gives you any warning. In general, Xpdf has absolutely
the best diagnostics of all PDF reading software;

- send me a sample of your broken PDF off list.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX