[xep-support] column-wide footnotes and vertical spacing

bboru at si.umich.edu bboru at si.umich.edu
Tue Jul 15 18:46:18 PDT 2003

I'm using the column-wide footnotes extension (Thank you, David, for
correcting my cl syntax) and am seeing an oddity in the way the
foonotes are spaced from the body of the column. For debugging purposes
I put a leader in my xsl-footnote-separator block (0pt before-space and
after-space) and so can see that the spacing between it and the column
body is irregular. I can't see any pattern. In one case, the separator
was rendered --without footnote-- on the page, then rendered again
--with footnote-- on the following page.

I've looked at whether the column itself was breaking in the middle or
end of a block: No difference. And setting the body blocks' orphan and
widow values to zero makes no difference. It looks more like the body
column is stopping short rather than the footnote reference area
starting late. But I also notice single-paragraph footonotes (not long
ones) sometimes spanning page breaks while longer ones are rendered
intact elsewhere -- as if the footnote reference area were variable.

Has anyone seen this before? Can you offer ways to debug or workaround
this?
Thanks.
-Brian