[xep-support] Unicode / TrueType fonts / RTL

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Tue Jul 15 15:57:19 PDT 2003

Hi Lorna,

> Thanks, that took care of the problem for my Hebrew test case. I have
> another with Syriac and the font can't be embedded - and it's TrueType.

This may happen when the TrueType font contains policy flags
that prohibit its embedding. XEP honors these flags; you have
to contact your font vendor if you need the font embedded in your
document. (I know that e.g. LinguistSoftware requires a special
license to use their fonts for PDF creation).

> The documentation describes the need to use "encoding", "ordering",
> and "supplement" Adobe attributes. Do you know where I can read
> up on that to try to figure it out?

If I knew, I would have inserted a reference in the docs :-).
You may start here:

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/type/

I tried myself but could not find data for fonts with non-Latin,
non-CJK subsets. There's no such thing as "Unicode encoding"
in the list of Adobe standard encodings. Weird, isn't it?

In any case, leaving Syriac font unembedded does not seem
a good choice: the receiver of your document must have
the font installed on his/her machine in order to view your PDF.
If your font license prohibit even subsetted embedding, I wonder
how can you distribute the font itself...

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX