[xep-support] PDF Error

David Tolpin dvd at renderx.com
Thu Jul 3 01:24:04 PDT 2003

> I'm getting an error in Acrobat Reader (5.0) when I view the attached PDF
> generated from XEP (PDF Stamped edition).
>
> The error is 'Wrong operand type'
>
> The error seems to be caused by reference-orientation on a graphic.
>
> I have marked the spot in the FO file with 'Error occurs about here'

I thought it would make sense to explain what was happening.

There is a sequence of rotated sidewards block-containers with no
inline-progression-dimension specified. When ipd is left unspecified,
XEP uses the whole remaining space on the page as  a fallback.

When the next block-container comes afterwards, it is left 0pt on the
page, but its ipd is not specified again, thus the width="0pt" and width="100pt"
becomes 0pt. The image is scaled to 0pt in width, and the transformation matrix
becomes 0 0 0 0 0 0 cm.

Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot handle the singular matrix (why Ghostscript can, by the way)
and complains that it is an error.

I would like to remind again that it is a bug in the user's input, not in the renderer.

David Tolpin