[xep-support] 1. unicode characters (eg arrow up) 2. line-height

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Wed Jan 22 01:26:50 PST 2003

Tobias, Eliot,

just my 2 cents to the discussion:

> > 2. line height
> >
> > When there is superscript stuff, eg for footnotes, I get uneven line
> > heights:
>
> I think this is an FO problem--the height of the superscript is heigher
> than the normal line height, but I suspect that the FO spec allows
> renderers to recover from this problem in different ways.

There is a special XSL property, "line-height-shift-adjustment",
to control behaviour of subscripts/superscripts. Its default value,
"consider-shifts", makes inter-line space widen to account for
baseline shifts on inline elements. To make line separation
constant, set line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts"
somewhere. (The property is inheritable).

Note however that insertions of bigger fonts and/or tall inline
graphics will increase line separation. If you want to ensure
absolute uniformity of line separations, the ultimate weapon is
line-stacking-strategy="font-height". In this mode, line separation
for all lines in a block is equal to the calculated value of line-height
on that block, regardless of the actual contents. But be careful:
block graphics tend to break badly if they happen in such a block,
since their actual size is not taken in consideration to determine
their vertical placement.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev