[xep-support] 1. unicode characters (eg arrow up) 2. line-height

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Tue Jan 21 15:41:43 PST 2003

Tobias Reif wrote:

> I'd be happy if XEP would automatically find these fonts/glyphs, just as
> the browsers do.

While some FO implementations have built-in fallback font strategies,
the most correct FO markup requires that you provide a list of fonts
that the FO processor can step through, e.g.:

<fo:root font-family="Times, serif, symbol">

Or some such.

> 2. line height
>
> When there is superscript stuff, eg for footnotes, I get uneven line
> heights:
> http://www.pinkjuice.com/temp/xep/line-height_arrow.png
> Is this an issue of XEP or should it be resolved by changing the FO
> generation?

I think this is an FO problem--the height of the superscript is heigher
than the normal line height, but I suspect that the FO spec allows
renderers to recover from this problem in different ways. Both XEP and
XSL Formatter recover by increasing the line height, rather than
allowing the raised glyphs to overprint on the line above.

Cheers,

Eliot

W. Eliot Kimber, eliot at isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International