[xep-support] Type 1 versus OpenType font behavior

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Sun Jan 5 10:27:29 PST 2003

Type 1 versus OpenType font behaviorHi Ken,

> I used OpenType fonts for the one that went through
> the PDF output processor and the same Type 1 fonts
> through the Postscript route. The documents looked
> largely the same with one puzzling exception: in the
> running header the page number would frequently have
> one of the digits misaligned with the other (looking like
> a full-sized superscript). The same thing was happening
> with figure numbers in image captions.

It is virtually impossible that XEP itself displaces individual
characters vertically - it puts them as a string of text, not
as single glyphs. I'd rather suspect the problem is in the font.

Most probably, your PostScript font uses old-style digits.
(My paper copy of Webster has pages numbered with these;
perhaps you can find a similar example in some other
dictionary or encyclopaedia). Try to format the following
FO piece with your font:

<fo:inline text-decoration="underline">01234567890</fo:inline>

If I guessed right, than you should see the following:
  - 0, 1, and 2 are small in size (like a small character - x-height tall);
  - 6 and 8 are bigger, and rise above the x-height;
  - 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 are the same size as 6 and 8 but descend below the
baseline.

If so, you probably have to ask your font supplier for another
copy of the font. Strictly speaking, such a situation is not normal:
old-style digits should have different names in PostScript
('oneoldstyle', 'twooldstyle', etc. compared to 'one', 'two'
etc. for regular digits). You may ask the foundry why did
they code  old-style glyphs with regular-style names.

Naturally, mine is only a guess. If I missed the point,
please send your font files with a problematic FO
sample to support at renderx.com, so that we can investigate
the problem further.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev