[xep-support] Problems using font expert set

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Fri Jan 3 11:59:43 PST 2003

Hi Geurt,

> I'm using XEP 3.13 to generate a PDF-file. The resulting PDF-file
> displays only white space or strange dots where I expect small caps
> letters.

The problem is due to Expert encoding: smallcaps characters don't have
Unicode codepoints. When XEP encounters a character 'a' (U+0061) in the
text, it consults the Adobe Glyph List to find the corresponding glyph
name - that should be "a". In your font, there's no such glyph name (the
smallcaps glyph is called 'Asmall'), so XEP presumes that the glyph for 'a'
is missing.

> Does anyone have the same experience or have a idea how I can
> solve this problem? Does someone know if a font expert set requires
> something special?

Yes, it does require a bit of extra effort. Since Adobe refused to indicate
mapping of these glyphs to Unicode, you will have to do this job manually -
that is, to write a custom glyph list to complement/override Adobe's. It's a
file containing a list of correspondences between Unicode codepoints and
glyph names; its format and use are explained in XEP User Guide, ch. 5.3
"PostScript fonts and Unicode" (doc/userguide.pdf in XEP's distribution).
Its initial lines may look like this:

# expert.glyphs - Expert Charset to Unicode mapping

0061;Asmall
0062;Bsmall
..... (on and on for all glyphs that you need)

For a list of glyph names, look into the AFM for your font.

Best regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev