[xep-support] Type1 -- accessing characters with code above 256

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Fri Feb 7 14:31:13 PST 2003

Hi Jirka,

> I configured XEP to use this Type1 font, but I can access just
> characters which are defined in an encoding vector. Is this is known
> limitation of XEP, or is there any other problem?

This is a known and documented limitation. For most Type 1 fonts,
we can access only characters from the embedded encoding.

> I wanna to use characters like zcaron, which are defined in standard
> Adobe glyph list as mentioned in documentation, so XEP should find
> these glyphs in a font.

The formatter has no problems finding them; but output generators
are not yet capable of defining custom encodings for fonts. It is
in the TODO list, but with a relatively low priority: in most cases,
it is possible to reencode the font outside XEP.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev