[xep-support] fo:inline-container

Oliver Becker obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 15 08:03:26 PST 2003

> I think you have hit the limitation of XSL FO 1.0 as a technology. You
> have to refine your layout to make it possible to express it in terms
> of XSL FO 1.0 or wait for the future versions of XSL FO in hope that
> they will include some new constructs that will do the trick.

The layout is rather simple (in my eyes): text flow with some space for
margin notes on the outer page sides. In between there are blocks with
code samples. For these code snippets I want to use the whole width of
the page (text area plus margin area).
(That means these blocks are wider, not smaller, but this shouldn't matter.)

I think additional properties like inside-indent / outside-indent
(in place of start-indent or end-indent in my use case) would do it.
Or an XSLFO function (even() or odd()) that can be used to compute
distance values, e.g. start-indent="20pt + odd()*10pt"

Perhaps these ideas could be suggestions for provisional XEP extensions ...
:-)

Cheers and thanks,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |