[xep-support] Processing inline symbols

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Wed Apr 23 07:15:10 PDT 2003

Geurt Lagemaat wrote:

> Thank you, this approach works. There is something strange however. In:
>
> <text>&#x2217; = asteriskmath symbol, &#x221A; radical symbol and &#x221D;
> proportional symbol</text>
>
> only the asteriskmath and the proportional symbols are printed but NOT the
> radical symbol.

This always means that a glyph for the character is not available in any
of the fonts specified. On Win2K you can use the CharMap utility to see
what glyphs a font actually provides.

Fonts are evaluated in the order listed in the font-family property, so
the first font that has a glyph for a character determines what glyph
shows up (you can demonstrate this by putting your dingbats or greek
font first in the list and see what happens :-)).

I also find it useful to put a dingbat or wingdings-type font as the
only global font to make sure that all flow objects are having their
fonts set appropriately at a lower level when using a root-level font is
not appropriate (for example, where different page sequences use very
different fonts such that a single default font is not useful).

Cheers,

Eliot
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot at isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International