[xep-support] Processing inline symbols

Geurt Lagemaat Lagemaat at oriana-automatisering.com
Wed Apr 23 05:07:46 PDT 2003

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>You should also be able to simply put the appropriate symbol font at the
>end of the list of fonts you are using, e.g.:

><fo:root font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, Symbol">

Thank you, this approach works. There is something strange however. In:

<text>&#x2217; = asteriskmath symbol, &#x221A; radical symbol and &#x221D;
proportional symbol</text>

only the asteriskmath and the proportional symbols are printed but NOT the
radical symbol.

The symbol entry in fonts.xml looks like:
      afm="Symbol.afm"
      embed="false"/>

The stylesheet is using: <xsl:attribute name="font-family">'Times Roman',
Symbol, 'Zapf Dingbats'</xsl:attribute>

Any idea?

>The use or non-use of UTF-8 will not affect your ability to refer to any
>character, although it may affect the ability of your text editor or
>content management system to correctly handle the file. Using numeric
>character references, as in the example above, is the safest approach
>but should never be necessary unless you are using tools that cannot
>handle Unicode characters above 255 correctly (for example, editors that
>can only handle pure ASCII).

We still working with ascii encoding for some reasons (CMS and tooling).

Regards,

Geurt Lagemaat
Oriana Automatisering